SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Monday, September 8, 2008

OFF & ON


at times I still consider coughing it up: gas pipe, 19th floor
window, 3 fifths of whiskey in 4 hours or
slamming at 85 mph into a slab of
concrete.

my first thought of suicide came at the age of 13 and it has
been with me ever since
through all the botched failures;
sometimes just rather playing at it, little minor
rehearsals;
other times
really trying like hell to
kill myself.

yet, now it's never totally intense, it's more like
considering whether to go to a movie or
not or whether to buy a new pair of
shoes.
actually, years go by and the suicidal thoughts
almost completetly
abate.
then
suddenly
they return, like:
look here, baby, lets give it another
shot.

and when it returns it's fairly
compelling
but not so much in the mind (as in the old
days) but strangely, suicide waits in odd little places,
on the back of your neck or
at a spot just under the chin
or along the arms like the sleeves of a
sweater......
it used to hit the gut, now it's almost like
catching a rash.

I will be driving along in my car with the radio
on and it will leap at me and I will smile at
it
remembering the old days
when those I knew thought that
my daring crazy acts stemmed from
bravery....

I will drive for several hours
up and down strange streets in
strange neighborhoods
at times
slowing down carefully
where children are playing in the
road.

I will park
go into cafes
drink coffee
read newspapers.
I will hear voices speaking of
ridiculous and dull
things.

I will be back in the car
driving along
and at once
everything will lift:
we all live in the same world:
I will have to pay my gas bill, get a
set of new reading glasses, I will need a
new tyre
left rear
and I think I've been using my neighbor's
garbage can.
it is fine to be normal again and
as I pull into the driveway
a large whit moon smiles at me
through the windshield of
evening.

I brake, get out, close the car
door, centuries of sadness, gladness and
equilibrium will walk with me up to the door
as I put in the key
unlock it
walk into the place
once again having escaped the
inescapable, I will move toward the
kitchen cabinet for the
bottle
to
celebrate
that
or
whatever there is,
isn't,
will be,
won't
be -
like right
now.

- CHARLES BUKOWSKI

No comments: